Yes...that is a functional garage door in our Durham offices.
We value IQ and EQ with an insatiable curiosity to find better solutions.
We're tackling the Industrial Internet of Things space across businesses that touch all of our lives. We're achieving significant energy intensity reductions and financial gains in industries such as the cold chain. We are backed by a San Francisco based PE fund, established an awesome board of directors and have taken four years of experience in industrial energy efficiency with a working SaaS product to launch www.ndustrial.io
What does this mean? It means we’ve built a real-time ingestion and API platform to ingest and expose all kinds of sensor data ranging from electrical meters, accelerometers, temperature sensors and more. We also integrate with third-party ERP systems parsing both big and small data for advanced analytics, dashboarding and production normalized operations. Our team has helped lead the development of a Hadoop-based inventory datastore with Cloudera and we actively leverage Cassandra for time series data storage. While we use big tools, it's not just for the hell of it -- we're big believers in using the right tool for the job and are preparing for growth and scale. Oh, and we help predict squid landings on the coast of California.
I can't promise this will be the highest paying job in the region but we do offer stock options and a sense of ownership across truly challenging work. We're located near Fullsteam Brewery in downtown Durham with a San Francisco office opening soon. We like to believe we have a culture that values results and creative action, but we're not perfect. It will not be the right fit for most people and you have to be able to function without a lot of handholding.
If you're looking to get rich quick and want to build a social app, then we're probably not a great place to work. We will push you harder then you've ever been pushed but you will quickly see the fruits of your labor making a huge impact by turning unsexy industries cool.
If that sounds fun and you're willing to work hard, then we'd love to talk to you (and not a recruiter).
What we're currently looking for...
Front End Developer
ndustrial.io is a Durham, NC based startup looking for a high quality Front-End Engineer to join the team and help us continue to improve the energy management industry. We are looking for someone who is really passionate about their work and can be a big part of a small team. Someone who can be counted on to continue driving us forward. We are not the kind of startup that expects you to work insane hours or sleep at your desk but we do need someone who understands how a start up works and is willing to be a part of the sometimes crazy ride.
If that sounds like something that gets you excited, read more to understand our specific needs.
- Work on new features and functionality for our existing software while also developing new software to compliment our customers needs.
- Actively participate in scoping, estimating, code reviews throughout the development process.
- Communicate with your fellow co workers about your progress and offer suggestions/improvements to continually improve all aspects of the software.
- Be able to provide thorough reasons/explanations for software decision in order to prevent technical debt.
- Occasional IT support when the need arises.
- Have a constructive voice. It will be expected and respected.
- Unlimited PTO (as long as it isn’t abused).
- Healthcare stipend ($200/mo).
- Team outings.
- Flexible work environment with telecommuting options.
- Witty banter (working with us is like being in a bad Aaron Sorkin movie).
- More bean bags than you could ever want (but you have to fight the dogs for them. Yup, we have dogs in from time to time).
- Walking distance to Cocoa Cinnamon.
- Windows with natural sunlight.
- We limit our use of buzzwords.
- Direct access to all employees of the company, no middle management hell. You will work feet away from the CEO & CTO and we usually will go to lunch together.
Skills & Requirements
- Experience using a CSS preprocessor (Sass, Less, etc)
- Experience with unit testing (Mocha, Chai).
- Expert at pull requests and code reviews. We are a small team and lean on each other to make sure we are writing the best software possible.
- Self-motivated individual who can work independently/remotely.
- Experience working in a start up and understanding the needs that come with that.
- Willingness/desire to experiment with new technologies.
- Good sense of humor, we enjoy working with each other.
- Must be able to get things done in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment.
- Local candidates only, please (we want to be able to see your face from time to time).
Nice to haves:
- Experience in visualization libraries (D3, Raphael, etc) is a plus.
- Experience developing APIs with NodeJS.
- Eye for design.
- Experience with UX best practices. Understand why you are building what you are and not just be task oriented.
- Native mobile development experience.
ndustrial.io is a start-up in Durham, NC that provides industrial and manufacturing businesses with software, hardware and resource efficiency project management services to help reduce their operating expenses and turn these efficiencies into a sustainable competitive advantage. Our software is built for both technical and non-technical people within industrial organizations and we take front-end (and back-end) design seriously.
Joel Test score: 8 out of 12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
- Do you use source control? (YES)
- Can you make a build in one step? (YES)
- Do you have a bug database? (YES)
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule? (YES)
- Do you have a spec? (YES)
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions? (YES)
- Do you use the best tools money can buy? (YES)
- Do new candidates write code during their interview? (YES)